Hernia symptoms can vary depending on the type of hernia, and the symptoms can be different for men and women. For most types of hernias, you can see or feel a bulge where the hernia happened. Common hernia symptoms include:
- A lump or bulge in the affected area.
- Pain in the area. This might be worse when coughing, lifting something heavy or bending over.
- Pressure or heavy feeling in the abdomen.
- Burning or aching feeling near the lump.
- Men with inguinal hernias might have pain and swelling near the testicles.
- Women might feel pelvic pain or acute pain in the affected area.